Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Miley Cyrus MTV MVA-2013

Long-time readers of this site know about my utter fascination for the cultural enigma that is Miley Cyrus. Well, all I could say about the Pop Princess's performance at this year's Music Video Awards is said here at The Onion:
So, as managing editor of CNN.com, I want our readers to know this: All you are to us, and all you will ever be to us, are eyeballs. The more eyeballs on our content, the more cash we can ask for. Period. And if we’re able to get more eyeballs, that means I’ve done my job, which gets me congratulations from my bosses, which encourages me to put up even more stupid bullshit on the homepage.
I don’t hesitate to call it stupid bullshit because we all know it’s stupid bullshit. We know it and you know it. We also know that you are probably dumb enough, or bored enough, or both, to click on the stupid bullshit anyway, and that you will continue to do so as long as we keep putting it in front of your big, idiot faces. You want to know how many more page views the Miley Cyrus thing got than our article on the wildfires ravaging Yosemite? Like 6 gazillion more.
That’s on you, not us.
Actually, no. I can't resist adding something else. I'll add that watching that whole thing made me think about how air-headed our culture is. That country has killed over a million people in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya, Syria, Honduras, ... and millions of its own people are being eaten alive by corporate greed and corruption. But more people are focused on the astounding concept that a 20-year old woman exhibits her sexuality to draw attention to herself.

I'm still engaging with the people kind enough to extend thoughtful comments on my proposal. I'll do some more replying tomorrow. I've got a few things to do today.

Ha-ha-ha!

No comments: