Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Two Books

Nothing else to do. I'll post about two books I read.

The first is called Bomb Power: The Modern Presidency and the National Security State by Garry Willis. Willis says that the trappings of the imperial presidency are almost all the fault of the huge increase in power to that office created by and necessitated by nuclear weapons. I share the reviewer's belief that it can't all be blamed on the bomb. Unlike the reviewer, I think it had more to do with taking over international capitalist imperialism than with the pressures of the Cold War.

The other book is Democratizing the Constitution: Reforming Responsible Government. It details how stephen harper has taken advantage of the very wide powers given to Canadian prime ministers as a result of custom and convention, and outlines ways to close these gaps. Considering the subject matter, I found it surprisingly dry. But all the facts are real and important enough.

More.

More.

Bye.

No comments: