Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Debased Culture

Yesterday, on a crowded subway, there was a tall athletic man standing next to me. I'm short so my eye level was at his tie. I thought his tie was quite stylish and then noticed the fine material and colour of his suit and the powder-blue shirt. Then I noticed the dude was reading what looked like a non-fiction paperback and that he was almost finished it. That showed dedication and a sustained thinking ability.

Alas! When I got nosy, and peered under to see the book's cover I discovered he was reading Decision Points by the cretinous war criminal george w. bush. When the subway stopped at Queen the gentleman turned out to be a handsome youngster and he was lugging his gym duffle bag. Some finance or management up-and-comer who thinks enough of shit-headed ideas and "leaders" that he's plowed almost all the way through the ghost-written babblings of a fuck-head like bush II.

In a saner time (and there were saner times) bush II would be in a mad-house, having never risen above his mediocrity and therefore decided to destroy himself utterly with alcohol. And our young hero would ... well, he'd probably still be a privileged prick, but he wouldn't be poisoning his brain with garbage like Decision Points.

2 comments:

Owen Gray said...

As they say, thwap, garbage in -- garbage out.

thwap said...

Owen,

I guess that's what I was trying to say. If so many of our gate-keepers weren't validating garbage like bush II's memoirs, or Rob Ford's outbursts, we wouldn't have so many people ingesting and then contributing to our fouled-up, sick society.