Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Thoughts Exactly ...

Glenn Greenwald nails it:

The 'debate' over all the bad and scary things that will happen if Obama closes Guantanamo and we then incarcerate those detainees in American prisons is so painfully stupid even by the standards of our political discourse that it's hard to put into words ...
It meshes nicely with this week's Tom Tomorrow cartoon about how the Repugs can continue to set the terms of debates despite their considerable limitations.

Where oh where is the right-wing version of "Canadian Cynic" or "Sadly, No!" that skewers the brain-dead political culture of lefties? I suspect it doesn't exist because it can't exist. There's no way that there are significant portions of the leftist internet that are as ugly and stupid, so irredeemably stupid, as smalldeadanimals, dustmybroom, freedominion, freerepublic, littlegreenfootballs, nationalreviewonline, redstate, etc., etc.,. (FTR: right-wing circle-jerks about how awesome they are and how "leftards" are stupid, well, just 'cause, don't count.)

We have a lot of work to do to turn the human race off the path to self-annihilation and the fact that moronic drivel like the "terrorists on American soil" debate is allowed to waste our time is testimony to how dangerously far behind we are. These cretins are dangerous for the things they wish to do and for the energy they divert from more worthy causes. They should just shut the fuck up and let the grown-ups get to work.

3 comments:

Mike said...

If anything, this idiocy has made me more pessimistic about humankind. The words of Janeane Garofalo seem so apt: "I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things. The glass is always half empty. And cracked. And I just cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth."

thwap said...

If I were any more pessimistic I'd just throw in the towel and become a drunk or a greed-head.

My belief though is that all people are stupid (and I count as "people") but people can surprise you.

Alison said...

Here's what I don't get and I'm not being snarky here ..
I credit right libertarianism as a coherent if self-defeating system of thought, but the right wing?
How did it get to be elevated to the position of a political worldview, as opposed to just something one might look up in the DSM-V?