Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Accomplishing Something

Well, I sent a submission to the Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform. On the very last day to submit.

I have been meaning to marshall my forces to "yawn!" you know, ... write a measly letter to the editor about the hunger-strikers who have been jailed indefinitely, without charges, for years, under the dubious procedure of "security certificates." Somehow, I'm too busy dropping tidbits on blogs and discussion boards, watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on YouTube or ComedyCentral, drinking, toking, and all-around wanking, ... to just find the time to meekly protest the violation of our supposed Canadian values represented by these incarcerations.

I never got around to writing that petition for a Parliamentary Inquiry on the Martin Liberal's crimes against humanity in Haiti. I suppose I could still do that.

I've learned a lot online, and I've met (sometimes in person, later) some interesting people. Fine, fine people.

But I think that online "activism" has to be put in its place.

Perhaps a couple of hours every couple of days or something. And then go out and do something "real" in your communities.

There's a tremendous release to be had reading and fulminating with like-minded people online. And there's a tremendous release from watching and laughing along with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report and This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

But maybe the release from laughter keeps us from screaming, which keeps us from then actually doing something to change things.

My recent exercise in negativity (against the imbecilic arguments of the submerged 33rd of the population that gleefully swallows every war that their cyncial and stupid masters calls for) is not something that I wish to repeat.

Keeping a constant eye on those bozos is important, but for my money, Canadian Cynic already does a fine job of that, dismissing the fleas with the contempt they deserve.

What I think I'll do with my little blog is work on something hopefully substantial every week. I'll type a little something everyday, so that I won't forget how everything works, but I'll reserve the bulk of my energy working on a semi-article, which I will post here, on EnMasse.Ca, and (if permitted) BreadnRoses.Ca.

And I think that I'll spend more time and effort trying to crank out some cartoons, ... ANY cartoons, which I'll post on EnMasse, or MayDayMagazine.

Over n' out for today.

No comments: